EEGGL (Eruptive Event Generator Gibson and Low) is a tool which uses observational data to specify input parameters for the Gibson-Low flux rope model so that it may approximately reproduce observed CME events. EEGGL allows the user to specify the CME source region with the use of synoptic magnetogram data, which in turn provides the location and orientation of the GL flux rope. The observed CME speed provided by StereoCAT tool is used to specify the magnetic field strength of the flux rope.
EEGGL thus aids end-users to employ observational data covering the early phase of an eruption to specify the 3D model of the CME originating in the low corona. The model then allows the propagating of the CME to 1 AU where it makes predictions of the resulting solar wind disturbance.
EEGGL is still being improved with revised model parameters so results may vary. Please contact us if results do not match expectations as we strive to improve the model. Contact info of developers is below.
Descriptions and pointers to authors of EEGGL:
- Meng Jin, lead developer of the EEGGL program (Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory in Palo Alto CA)
- Ward Manchester, led the adaptation of the Gibson and Low model to numerical simulations of CMEs and co-developer of EEGGL (CSEM, University of Michigan)
- Igor Sokolov, co-developer of EEGGL and lead of the transition of EEGGL to CCMC (CSEM, University of Michigan)
- Richard Mullinix, lead developer of EEGGL web application (CCMC)
- Alexandre Taktakishvili, (CCMC), co-developer of EEGGL web application and co-lead of the transition of EEGGL to CCMC
Co-author Statement/Publication Policy
Please follow the CCMC Publication Policy which applies to all models. In addition, published papers using EEGGL should have the first three model developers above as co-authors (M. Jin, W. Manchester, I. Sokolov).
- M. Jin, W. B. Manchester IV, B. van der Holst, I. Sokolov, G. Toth, R. E. Mullinix, A. Taktakishvili, A. Chulaki, and T. I. Gombosi, Data-constrained Coronal Mass Ejections in a Global Magnetohydrodynamics Model, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 834, Page 173, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/834/2/173
Prior CME Event Simulations with the Gibson-Low Flux Rope Model
- Manchester IV, W., Gombosi, T., Roussev, I., DeZeeuw, D.L., Sokolov, I., Powell, K., Toth, G., and Opher, M. Three-Dimensional MHD Simulation of a Flux Rope Driven CME, Journal of Geophysical Research, 109, A01102, doi:10.1029/2003JA010150, 2004.
- Manchester IV, W., Gombosi, T., Ridley, A., Roussev, I., DeZeeuw, D.L., Sokolov, I., Powell, K., and Toth, G., Modeling a Space Weather Event from the Sun to the Earth: CME Generation and Interplanetary Propagation, Journal of Geophysical Research, 109, A02107, doi10.1029/2002JA009672, 2004.
- M. Jin, W. B. Manchester, B. van der Holst, I. Sokolov, G. Toth, A. Vourlidas, C. A. de Koning, and T. I. Gombosi, Chromosphere to 1 AU Simulation of the 2011 March 7th Event: A Comprehensive Study of Coronal Mass Ejection Propagation, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 834, Page 172, 2017, http://dx.doi.org/10.3847/1538-4357/834/2/172
- W. B. Manchester, B. van der Holst, and B. Lavraud, Flux rope evolution in interplanetary coronal mass ejections: the 13 May 2005 event, Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Vol. 56, article id. 064006, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0741-3335/56/6/064006
AWSoM and AWSoM-R Coronal Models
- Igor V. Sokolov, Bart van der Holst, Rona Oran, Cooper Downs, Ilia I. Roussev, Meng Jin, Ward B. Manchester, Rebekah M. Evans, and Tamas I. Gombosi, Magnetohydrodynamic Waves and Coronal Heating: Unifying Empirical and MHD Turbulence Models, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 764, Page, 23, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0004-637X/764/1/23.
- R. Oran, B. van der Holst, E. Landi, M. Jin, I. V. Sokolov, and T. I. Gombosi, A Global Wave-Driven Magnetohydrodynamic Solar Model with a Unified Treatment of Open and Closed Magnetic Field Topologies, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 778, Page 176, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0004-637X/778/2/176
- B. van der Holst, I. V. Sokolov, X. Meng, M. Jin, W. B. Manchester, IV, G. Toth, and T. I. Gombosi, Alfven Wave Solar Model AWSoM: Coronal Heating, Astrophysical Journal, Vol. 782, Page 81, 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0004-637X/782/2/81
- I. V. Sokolov, B. van der Holst, W. B. Manchester, D. Ozturk, J. Szente, A. Taktakishvili, G. Toth, M. Jin, and T. I. Gombosi, Threaded-Field-Lines Model for the Low Solar Corona Powered by the Alfven Wave Turbulence, 2016, arXiv1609.04379