ENLIL is a time-dependent 3D MHD model of the heliosphere. It solves equations for plasma mass, momentum and energy density, and magnetic field, using a Flux-Corrected-Transport (FCT) algorithm. Its inner radial boundary is located beyond the sonic point, typically at 21.5 or 30 solar radii. It can accept boundary condition information from either the WSA or MAS models. The outer radial boundary can be adjusted to include planets or spacecraft of interest (eg 2 AU to include both Earth and Mars, 5 AU to include Ulysses, 10 AU to include Cassini). It covers 60 degrees north to 60 degrees south in latitude and 360 degrees in azimuth.
- Heliosphere / Inner Heliosphere
- Odstrcil, D.: 2003, Modeling 3-D solar wind structure. Advances in Space Research 32, 497 - 506.
- Odstrcil, D., Pizzo, V.J.: 1999a, Three-dimensional propagation of CMEs in a structured solar wind flow: 1. CME launched within the streamer belt. J. Geophys. Res. 104, 483 - 492.
- Odstrcil, D., Pizzo, V.J.: 1999b, Three-dimensional propagation of coronal mass ejections in a structured solar wind flow 2. CME launched adjacent to the streamer belt. J. Geophys. Res. 104, 493 - 504.
- Odstrcil, D., Riley, P., Zhao, X.P.: 2004, Numerical simulation of the 12 May 1997 interplanetary CME event. J. Geophys. Res. 109, 2116.
- Odstrcil, D., Smith, Z., Dryer, M.: 1996, Distortion of the heliospheric plasma sheet by interplanetary shocks. Geophys. Res. Lett. 23, 2521 - 2524.
Code Languages: Fortran
- General Description of ENLIL Model
- Description of the data structure and organization in the ENLIL
- General description of Solar Wind, time description systems and coordinate systems used and more
- CUA Space Weather YouTube Tutorial
- Dusan Odstrcil, University Of Colorado at Boulder (Model Developer)
- Peter MacNeice, NASA GSFC CCMC (CCMC Model Host)
- M Leila Mays, NASA GSFC CCMC (CCMC Model Host)
In addition to any model-specific policy, please refer to the General Publication Policy.