Statistical model returning Poynting Flux (in W/m^2) energy flux into the ionosphere. The model was compiled using FAST satellite observations that are binned and mapped on magnetic coordinates.
Solar wind Density (N in cm^-3), velocity V (in km/s), magnetic field Bx, By, Bz (in nT), Altitude (optional).
Pattern of Poynting Flux distribution in auroral zone (> 50 degrees magnetic latitude), separate patterns for northern and southern hemisphere.
The updated model accounts for asymmetries between the northern and southern hemisphere and thus outputs different patterns for each hemisphere.
- High Latitude Ionosphere / Auroral Region
- Energy Flow into Ionosphere
- Russell B. Cosgrove et al., "Empirical model of Poynting flux derived from FAST data and a cusp signature", JGR 119 (1), 411-430, (2014), DOI: 10.1002/2013JA019105
Code Languages: Matlab, IDL
- Russell Cosgrove, SRI International (Model Developer)
- Lutz Rastaetter, NASA GSFC CCMC (CCMC Model Host)
In addition to any model-specific policy, please refer to the General Publication Policy.