Space Weather Explorer 2
Space Weather Explorer 2 (SWX2) is a Java visualization program for space weather simulation data provided by the Community Coordinated Modeling Center. The Java Web Start version can be launched from any web browser on Mac OSX, Linux 64bit, and Windows Vista/7 32/64 bit.
The application is developed using Java, and Java wrappers for our Kameleon access and interpolation library. It can be used to view specific timesteps of a run performed by the CCMC, and to interact with the viusalization in real-time. Request data files using the CDF request form.
This program is definitely a work in progress. Not all the features are complete.
- User can now select "None" for the slice variable, so only a chart displays. This enables the user to draw fieldlines without having to interpolate the scalar quantity for a slice.
- Multiple slices can be added for the selected timestep. Each slice has independent settings.
- Seed positions editor now includes the variable for the fieldline tracing.
- A mouseover tooltip displays the coordinates of the mouse position in world coordinates. If a variable is selected, it also displays the interpolated value at that position.
- Basic 3D view. Streamlines as lines, and textured cut slices.
- Streamlines are colored by magnetic fieldline topology. Red is closed, Grey is open, and Yellow is interplanetary. A user selectable color chooser will be added soon.
- Only the currently selected slice updates when clicking on the slice to initiate a trace. Click the Go button to update all the slices
- Seed points editor. Toggling "enabled" on seed points does not automatically toggle the streamline in the visualizations. You must click "Go" to update the visualizations. This will be fixed shortly.
- Everything is executed in a single thread. UI updates will be delayed. This will be fixed.
- When clicking to initiate fieldline traces, the Go button needs to be clicked to update the visualizations in slices other than the currently selected slice.
- Space Weather Explorer - 2014.02.21
- Reverts back to older version of jogl.
- Jars are stored and retrieved from ccmc only.
- Download older versions of SWx Explorer
Alexa_Halford_062105_2.3df.007200.cdf (OpenGGCM) (33MB)
KyoungJoo_Hwang_040309_1.3df.007200.cdf (OpenGGCM) (472MB)
CCMC_CCMC_072802_13d__ful_1_n262944.out.cdf (BATSRUS) (143MB)
David_Sibeck_112707_13d__ful_1_t00002110_n0028227.out.cdf (BATSRUS) (1.4GB)
Meng_Jin_031910_SH_1_step_2.MAS.cdf (MAS) (13MB)
Trent_Jefferson_022811_SH_1.0038.cdf (ENLIL) (35MB)
Nicholas_Gross_052511_SH_2.tim.0001.nc.cdf (ENLIL) (475MB)
SWX is a Java Web Start application. By clicking on the link above, Java Web Start should load the file and download the necessary code to execute the program on your platform. You do not need to install anything manually.Please contact Richard Mullinix (Richard.e.Mullinix AT nasa DOT gov) if you need help.
SWX2 requires the following software and hardware:
- Java 1.6 or higher
- 2 GB or more memory (may work with less, but has not been tested)