ENLIL is a time-dependent 3D MHD model of the heliosphere. It solves equations for plasma mass, momentum and energy density, and magnetic field, using a Flux-Corrected-Transport (FCT) algorithm. Its inner radial boundary is located beyond the sonic point, typically at 21.5 or 30 solar radii. It can accept boundary condition information from either the WSA or MAS models. The outer radial boundary can be adjusted to include planets or spacecraft of interest (eg 2 AU to include both Earth and Mars, 5 AU to include Ulysses, 10 AU to include Cassini). It covers 60 degrees north to 60 degrees south in latitude and 360 degrees in azimuth.
- Heliosphere / Inner Heliosphere
Code Languages: Fortran
- General Description of ENLIL Model
- Description of the data structure and organization in the ENLIL
- General description of Solar Wind, time description systems and coordinate systems used and more
- CUA Space Weather YouTube Tutorial
- Dusan Odstrcil, George Mason University (Model Developer)
In addition to any model-specific policy, please refer to the General Publication Policy.